Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Learning to run like a deere (John)

Doesn't He Look Tough!! Elvis on our walk, scaring away the coyotes.

Starting Weight 294.3
Current Weight 281
Total Loss 13.2 lbs
Weight to go 84 lbs
Distance Traveled 60 k
 
Well, I've been walking for 5 weeks now and if I were to head east I am now in the lovely village of Yarrow, on the way to Cultus Lake. After Sumas Lake was drained in the early part of last century, Yarrow was settled by the Mennonites. There-your history lesson for the week.
 
Well, my goal as written last week was no beer and 20k walking. I am going to classify myself as successful because I didn't have any beer and though I only travelled 14.5 k, I actually took up jogging. For those of you who know the 4.5k trail that I take, I started by walking to the start, which is 1/2k from my house. This gets the blood flowing. I then jog for 1 minute, walk for 2, jog for 1 etc until I get to the 1.3k mark on the path. I then walk back the last 2.5k or so. It may not seem like much to you but let me tell you: jogging with this much weight is sure noticeable on the knees. I don't particularly get winded, but the knees need the break every now and then.
 
I'm actually  thinking that I might be ready for the Grouse Grind (Dallon, are you up for it?) when spring arrives. I know 6 year olds can do it but they don't weigh 300lbs. Maybe even a 5k run. I'm going to do a little more homework on how to train for one. I'll let you know how I make out

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration for all of us Dave and it goes beyond weight to perseverence and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Dave! The walk-jog is a perfect thing to do; just be mindful of the knees and keep it slow. Plenty of time to sprint, down the road (so to speak). Sue E

    ReplyDelete